So I was finishing up work yesterday when a co-worker mentioned to me that there was severe weather expected to roll through the DC area on Thursday. Alarm bells immediately went off in my head as I was scheduled to fly from DCA to New York-JFK at around 12:30 on Thursday — the same time when the weather was supposed to be God-awful. This flight was to get me to JFK in plenty of time for my flight to Rio de Janeiro – at 7pm on Thursday. My concern was not necessarily the Rio flight; rather, it was being able to get to JFK in order to take that flight! These were separate tickets after all, so the good folks at TAM Airlines really wouldn’t care less if Delta couldn’t get me to New York in time.
I got home and started running through my options. I could:
- Keep everything as it was, and just cross my fingers that there wouldn’t be a significant delay or cancellation of my flight to JFK
- Try to fly out earlier in the morning from DCA-JFK
- Err on the side of caution and take the Amtrak up to New York on Wednesday night to ensure I wouldn’t miss my flight to Rio.
If I kept everything as-is, I would have been a nervous wreck, and probably would not have slept very well. The weather forecasts were extremely ominous, and I didn’t like my chances. Many times with weather, there are many cancellations — primarily of regional jet traffic (which would include my DCA-JFK flight). In situations of extremely bad weather, air traffic control tends to get the large planes flying internationally out, and the regionals end up with severe delays or cancellations. After thinking about all this, I decided that I could not just stay with what I had — I needed to make a proactive change.
My first thought was to change the flight to an earlier flight to JFK on Thursday morning. Then it dawned on me — I wasn’t flying United. Since I have status with United, I’ve grown accustomed to being able to make same day changes to my flights — I almost take it for granted. But no, this flight was with Delta. An airline with which I have zero status. Delta had not issued a weather waiver at that point, and it was unlikely I’d be able to change my flight unless they did.
The last option I had was to take the train up to New York on Wednesday, stay the night, and have a relaxing day during which I could find my way out to JFK. I have a modest bank of Amtrak points from which I could use 4,000 of them to get to NYC, and I was able to find a very reasonable last minute rate at the Four Points Sheraton SoHo. Perfect.
But then there was a small detail that I had to work with: it was 6:15pm and my train left at 8:45pm.
I had not done laundry. I had not packed. At all.
Fast forward two hours, and I found myself scarfing down a slice of Sbarro pizza as my train was about to depart for New York’s Penn Station. I made it!
The train ride was uneventful — a standard Northeast Regional experience. It takes about 3:20 – 3:30 to get from Washington to New York on Amtrak, and it’s a good way to go, as it dumps you off at Penn Station — smack dab in the middle of Manhattan.
I arrived at Penn Station at about 12:10am, hailed a cab to the Four Points, and went right to bed.
I slept pretty well in the small room, and woke up at around 8am to do some work. Again, the room was quite small, but the location is very good and is well situated in the SoHo neighborhood of Manhattan.
After a brief walk around the SoHo neighborhood, I packed my things and headed to Brooklyn where I planned to meet a friend for lunch. The subway ride was about 15 minutes, and eventually plopped me out right in downtown Brooklyn near the brand new Barclay’s Center. Wow – what a cool looking arena!
My friend took me for a roast beef sandwich at Brennan and Carr’s in Brooklyn… awesome!
After lunch, he drove me to JFK, where I had plenty of time to check-in and make the flight to Rio! In fact, I’m writing this from the comforts of the American Airlines AAdmirals Club at JFK in T8. My flight is scheduled out for 7:10pm, I have a drink in hand, and things are good!
Next stop: Rio de Janeiro!